Search This Blog

Monday, October 4, 2010

California's Prop 22

I'm posting this before I've read the entire content of the Proposition, so I encourage you, as a responsible voter, to do your own research. But I have to say I like the sound of it.
No, it won't make any juicy headlines, like this year's pet propsitions will. But if the description I read on the State of California's website and today's SF Chronicle editorial are accurate, this measure may provide some welcome relief to the LARPD's current fiscal dynamics. It goes like this:

22 - Prohibits the state from taking funds used for transportation or local government projects and services.

So I searched for text and haven't found any yet. But on its face, it may provide an impetus to end ERAF, the state program that allegedly enhances education. The jury's still out on that, but we DO know as a fact of the severe impact ERAF has had on LARPD's budget.

I hold out hope that this proposition is what it says it is, to paraphrase former NFL Coach Denny Green. I'll do the research and report back as soon as I find all the juicy details. But clearly people see that ERAF has not produced the desired result, so why not leave that money to the purposes for which they were intended? I hope, when you get out to vote, that you study this one closely.

No comments: